One afternoon, after randomly gorging on street food in Odisha, I landed up at a local restaurant. It seemed like any other eatery with people snacking on their favourite stuffs. On a table nearby, I saw a couple taking delight in one of the regional-based fares called Lauki Kofta Curry. Of course, it looked attractive and I too decided to place an order for it.
With rice, the dish tasted heavenly. As a complete foodie and a passionate cook myself, it took me no time to figure out its ingredients.
I returned to my hotel and did a bit research online regarding Lauki Kofta Curry method of cooking. It was pretty simple and hassle-free. Let us have a look at how to make gourmet Lauki Kofta Curry at home.
Things you will need for Kofta-
- 1 medium-sized bottle gourd, peeled and shredded
- 4-5 garlic flakes chopped
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ tablespoon turmeric powder
- ½ cup Besan
- ¼ cup water
- oil for frying
- salt to taste
Ingredients for gravy-
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- 2 onions, 4-5 garlic flakes, 1-inch ginger, 2 green chillies grounded in a paste
- ¼ tablespoon turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- cilantro leaves, chopped
- salt to taste
Method for Kofta-
- Heat little oil in a pan; add green chilli, garlic, and sauté for a minute.
- Add shredded bottle gourd, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, and salt, and mix well.
- Keep stirring the mixture until the water evaporates. Off the flame and let the stuffing cool down.
- In another bowl, take Besan, salt and water to form a batter.
- Now divide the stuffing into small balls of equal size.
- Dip each bowl into the Besan batter and deep-fry it in hot oil.
- Take them out one by one once the Kofta turn golden brown.
Method for Gravy-
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and sauté.
- Add the onion-ginger-chilli paste and mix well.
- Let it cook until the mixture separates from the oil.
- Add tomato puree, turmeric powder, garam masala, and salt to taste.
- Add Kofta one by one to this gravy and let it all cook for 5-10 minutes.
Finally, take the preparation off the flame. Serve in a serving bowl/dish and garnish with cilantro leaves.